Kid's TV shows theme songs

As a kid, my mom was really big on not letting my siblings and I have access to electronics, so I didn’t have the opportunity to explore music by myself. My mom though, let us watch a lot of TV, specifically the educational kid shows. So, basically all the songs that I knew in elementary school were from those children's shows. 


I didn’t only watch American TV though, I watched a lot of Arab children's shows as well. The one show that I watched religiously though, was Toyor Al Jannah. It was more like a bunch of little kids singing songs and it would just switch from song to song, but the main singers were these two twin brothers and their younger sister because their dad was the one who owned the channel. Regardless, there were a lot of talented singers and all their songs got stuck in my head. 


The songs obviously taught you lessons because it’s a kid show, but the one song that I remember very well was one of these kids like opened the door to his house without telling his mom or looking through the peephole, and it turned out to be a burglar. So anyway, the burglar steals everything and makes a mess of the entire house and while all of this is happening, they’re singing about how he shouldn’t have opened the door and the burglar is also singing about his a robber as well. It’s a very weird way to teach children that they shouldn’t open the door without their parent’s permission because the image of the robber coming into the house gave me nightmares for days. 


I also watched a lot of Barney as a kid, in fact I was practically obsessed with him. I had all of his movies, a stuffed Barney, and lots of Barney books. The one song that I remember is when he was talking about if the sky could rain something other than water. It went something like “if all the raindrops were lemon drops and gumdrops oh what a rain that would be!” I remember memorizing all the hand motions that went with it and whenever the song would come on, I would stand up in front of the TV and act like I was on the show. There was nothing more that I wanted than being on Barney, because I wanted to show off to everyone that I was capable of memorizing all the dances and songs. 

Looking back at these memories, made me feel really nostalgic and I’m really glad that those were my first memories of music.  I still get the same feeling of pure joy that I would get from listening to those songs back then, now. Kind of crazy how time flies.

Comments

  1. The themes of kid shows are really awesome! I love the scooby-doo theme song in particular. It summarizes the show and it's catchy. It's interesting that the show is called scooby-doo but scooby does absolutely nothing in the show. Sometime a show doesn't even have a song but it's still catchy. Like the Avatar: The Last Airbender beginning. What a trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the theme songs to kids shows are those things we will never forget. Like no matter what context you hear the beat and you know the words. Great blog post and I loved Barney too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that music video weirded me out too... it was just so strange and as a kid I never did get the message behind it. Also why would they let a burglar in and start singing about it lol, but maybe that's just me. Regardless, I loved Toyor Al Jannah growing up and I still love their songs. I'm glad I grew up on that kind of music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I related to this so much. Its funny because when I think about older shows that have been cancelled I always think of their theme songs. Their honestly the most memorable part of the show!! I definitely experience nostalgia when thinking of the shows.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts